Smoked Cheddar Poutine









Mmmm..let's see a close up shall we?



Wow is it hot in here or is that just me? Anyways..


Smoked Cheddar Poutine

Ingredients: 
  • Cheese curds (about a handful per person)
  • Frozen french fries (or make your own if you want to be an overachiever)
  • 3 tablespoons flour
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 2 cups beef broth 
  • 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
  • salt and pepper to taste 

Method:
  1. Set your cheese curds out until they reach room temperature.
  2. Read the directions on your french fry package and bake as directed (I used Alexia Organic which cooked for around 25 minutes at 450 degrees F.
  3. Make a roux. Melt butter over a medium-high heat until bubbly. Add flour and cook while stirring for about a minutes. The paste should be thin enough to stir, but not too thin. Think homemade library glue. Adjust butter/flour accordingly.
  4. Add beef broth while whisking constantly to avoid lumps. 
  5. Season gravy with salt and pepper. Add vinegar. Set aside.
  6. Retrieve french fries. Sprinkle with cheese curds. Smother with gravy. Enjoy!

I have had a hankering for poutine for a while now, and the last helping I had just didn't have enough cheese curds for me. So I was determined to make some myself (because, although poutine is the ultimate bar food, who doesn't dream of eating a great big plate of it with a nice cold beer in their pjs in front of the tv?) I wanted to relax with my beer more than I wanted to be a fancy show-off so I opted for the frozen french fries--but you do you! Heck, you can even make the cheese curds yourself if you're so inclined! I was not, however, and I purchased mine from the local creamery.

Sitting out your curds until they are room temperature isn't required but if you want them to reach that optimal state of half-melty/still intact, then this is a crucial step. It's also important to make sure that the gravy is hot enough to melt the curds somewhat, but not so hot that they melt and disappear completely. Although this first attempt at homemade poutine was literally finger-licking good, I would probably add some minced chives next time to add another layer of flavor.




Comments