Pork Soyaki Lo Mein With Baby Zucchini









Pork Soyaki Lo Mein With Baby Zucchini 
by Catie Simpson 


Ingredients

  • 1 package lo mein noodles
  • Soyaki sauce to taste
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • 1 tablespoon ground ginger
  • two handfuls baby zucchini
  • one handful shredded carrots
  • 1/2 package Cruciferous Crunch, or 2 cups any kind of cabbage or greens
  • 1 pound ground pork
  • olive oil
  • sesame seeds
  • Sriracha sauce to taste

Method
  1.  Bring a pot of salted water to boil in a large pot. 
  2. While your water is boiling, cook the ground pork in a large saute pan with salt and pepper until it is cooked through and evenly browned.
  3. When your water is at a full boil, add the lo mein noodles. Cook according to package instructions. Keep an eye on them as mine only took 3 minutes. 
  4. Drain your noodles and then toss in olive oil to prevent sticking.
  5. Transfer your pork out of your saute pan with a slotted spoon, keeping the fat in the pan. Set your pork aside. 
  6. Add a few glugs of olive oil to the rendered pork fat and quickly saute garlic and ginger until fragrant.
  7. Add zucchini and carrots. Cook for 2-3 minutes. 
  8. Add your cabbage mixture. Cook veggies until zucchini is tender and cabbage is just a bit crunchy. 
  9. Add your pork and noodles into your saute pan of veggies. Mix. 
  10. Add Soyaki sauce and Sriracha to taste. Mix in sesame seeds. Devour.



So a while ago my genius BFF Dani suggested that I put up recipes that I just make up on the fly for myself and friends and family and not just waiting until I find a recipe from someone else to try out. Tonight I took her advice and am going to attempt to transcribe my lazy end of the week lo mein for you!

I've been craving noodles all week, but since I've been trying to get more vegetables in my diet I decided to compromise with this veggie-packed lo mein. That way I can have seconds without too much guilt (ok, ok--THIRDS). I knew I wanted lo mein noodles, and I knew I wanted to use ground pork, but I waited until I actually went to Trader Joes to decide on the veggies. Thankfully I did, as I found some gorgeous baby zucchini in their produce section--all washed and ready to go! Have you seriously ever seen such adorable zucchini?!


I also grabbed a pack of Cruciferous Crunch, my go-to veg for stir-fries. Trader Joe's sells this in packs in the produce section, and it contains pre-cut and washed brussels sprouts, kale, broccoli, and green and red cabbage. It melts down a lot so use more than you think you'll need. It provides just the perfect amount of healthy greenery, crunch, and color into stir-fries and fried rice with minimal effort.

I swear to God Trader Joe's doesn't pay me, but in retrospect they should.

Speaking of Trader Joe's, I wanted a nice stir-fry sauce to go along with my lo mein but as it's a weeknight and a Friday at that, I picked up some pre-made sauce because Catie Don't Have Time For That. I settled on their Soyaki sauce which was a huge win. It's essentially a combination of soy sauce and teriyaki (hence the name) with garlic, ginger, sesame, and spices. After tasting it I realized it would also make an insane marinade. A little goes a long way though if you're using it as a sauce as it's quite salty (AKA DELICIOUS).


This recipe is really quite flexible. Add in any veg or meat you want, and cook accordingly. You could try using rice noodles, or scrap the noodles all together and use just plain 'ol rice! I would happily eat this off of the floor it's that good, so I promise that you can be creative with this one. You can't mess it up!



Comments